Valentine's Day Yarn Letters

1.31.2012

With our new mantel, I am so excited to be able to decorate it for holidays!  It was one of my favorite spots for Christmas.  I am currently working on getting some red and Heart Day goodies on it now!  I just finished these little puppies up ... yep, with the sicknesses in the house, it took a little longer then expected!  But I do like them! 



I purchased some cardboard letter from JoAnn Fabrics for $1.99 each ... with an additional 20% off ... love me some coupons!  Also purchased some yarn that was on sale for $2.49.  I would recommend using thicker, more textured yarn, but the thin "regular" yarn worked too!

When going into this project, please learn to love imperfection!  I first got the idea of wrapping things in yarn after seeing Jen's Holiday Trees from  IHeart Organizing and she even said to aim for imperfection right off the bat, you'll go mad if you try to make it perfect!  Well, you know me ... tried for perfection ... let go of it really quickly!!

So, I first started by trimming some yarn pieces to wrap the ends of the Xs with, about 2 inches.  I used craft glue, but hot glue would work too!  I simply glued the ends and laid out the yarn in rows, leaving some yarn hang over to wrap under the wound yarn later. 



Then I began wrapping ... I started with the "legs" of the X and wrapped each one of those.



Next, I began wrapping the interior of the X.  To start the yarn, I would put a little glue in between already wrapped yarn, and press me new end into it.  When the yarn needed to be finished off, I used a thin ruler and slid it under the yarn that was already wrapped.  As you can see in the picture, I did run a line of glue along the edges, as it helped to keep the yarn from sliding up or down.  I also, spaced out the yarn, and then went back and filled in the spaces to give it a double layer-type of effect ... plus it helped to make sure I didn't miss any spots!


With the Os, I ended up doing them each a different way ... one I cut a chunk out of and taped it back in, so wrapping would be easy and continuous.  The other, I simply cut snippets of yarn and glued, wrapped and tucked over and over again, because you obviously can't squeeze the yarn through the center every wrap ... wow, exhausting!


Overall, I am very pleased with the results.  If I had to do over again, I might wrap the "ends" of the Os like I did the ends of the Xs, and then do a continuous horizontal wrap around, instead of following the curve of the O. 




Off to work on my next projects to add to the mantel ... a tissue paper wreath and a felt heart garland!!

Here are some other very cute letters ... wish I would have seen these first, love the "ombre" effect!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...