Burlap & Gingham Spring Banner

3.16.2012

Here in Northern Illinois ... it's been so very pleasant it feels as if we have almost passed up Spring!  I'm certain Mother Nature will pull back here shortly though and remind me of just where I live!  I've been meaning to get a go on my Spring Mantel, so ... today I finally did!! 


I had some leftover burlap from a Wizard of Oz scarecrow costume I made a few Halloweens ago!  I also had some pretty yellow gingham material from my school supplies (most likely backing for a bulletin board). 

I started by making a cardboard shape to use as a pattern tracer.  I traced and cut out 6 burlap banner pieces. 

Next, I used my Silhouette (probably incorrectly, but it worked) to cut out the letters for spring from the yellow gingham fabric.


I then folded over an inch of the top of each banner piece and zig-zag stitched along there. 


I then serged around the outer edges of each piece to give it a little more yellow pizazz! 


Next, I spread tacky glue with a brush on the back of each letter and stuck it to the burlap.


Finally, I placed the ribbon along the back of each banner piece, just above the zig-zag stitched line and added another zig-zag line to attach the pieces to the ribbon! 



And ... tah dah ... a cute, simple Spring banner to place along the top of our mantel mirror!!  I love it! 




Now ... onto the next mantel projects (after I enjoy a glass of wine and catch up on some blogging ... of course!)

Happy Spring!  :)

Linking up here ...

Weekend Bloggy Reading http://www.thegrantlife.com/search/label/financial%20friday Design Dazzle The Shabby Nest monogram

5 comments:

  1. It is so cute! Thanks for sharing!
    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute spring banner!! We love it! Thanks for being a part of our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We loved having you and hope you'll be back! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Christy,

    I am a new follower to your blog and I wanted to tell you that I'm awarding you the Versatile Blogger Award over on my blog today. Have a great week.

    Hugs,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! The serging is a nice touch. I am passing an award on to you - stop by if you are interested! Have a great weekend!

    http://thecaptivatinglife.blogspot.com/2012/03/lazy-saturdaywith-awards.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...